Making Basil flavored Butter at home is simple to do and has as many applications as any recipe using butter. Simple biscuits and soft dough breads are delicious when baked with savory butters, such as Basil flavored butters. Wedges of Basil flavored butters are delicious on baked potatoes, steamed vegetables and melted in sauces for a subtle, distinctive flavor. It can be your own secret ingredient to make your recipes stand out in a crowd!
1. Set the stick of butter out on the counter to warm up and soften.
2. Wash and spin dry to remove as much moisture as possible from the Basil, picking through the leaves to remove woody stems and damaged, discolored leaves.
3. Gather the herb sprigs into small bunches and finely chop with the chopping knife or snip in small pieces over a piece of wax or parchment paper.
4. In a small bowl, combine the soft butter and the chopped Basil with a wooden spoon until well blended.
3. Place 3 to 5 sprigs of Basil into the bowl of the processor and pulse several times to chop fine, scraping the bowl down with the wooden spoon or spatula between each pulse to assure even chopping.
4. Add the softened butter to the processor bowl and pulse, again, scraping the sides of the bowl between each pulse to mix ingredients well.
5. Divide the butter by Tablespoons into the ice trays (for cube shaped butter patties) or small muffin tins (for round butter patties) and freeze in the freezer.
6. Once frozen, remove the butter patties from the trays or tins and store in an air-tight container such as a freezer bag or glass jar in the freezer.
NOTE: You can also remove the butter from the bowl onto a sheet of wax paper, and, as it starts to set up, gently roll it into a roll with the help of the paper. Once the roll has formed, add another layer of wax paper and twist the ends to seal tightly. Place the roll on the freezer shelf to freeze. To serve, these rolls can be unwrapped and sliced into discs for serving with savory toasts, over mashed or baked potatoes or new potatoes and a variety of other applications requiring butter.